Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Getting organized: implement a Simple Workflow System

I have been blogging since late 2007. I have written for years. Since July, 2010, I have really increased my blogging efforts, starting new blogs as there is no tomorrow and produce post after post at a rate of knots.

However, I've also closed a few blogs, emigrated to a blogging platform to another and took lots of messages offline for months at a time. When you add to this the amount of new material I still find a week normal (usually between 5-10 positions), it is perhaps not surprising that I have a lot of ideas that are not currently "live".


With all this content, it is important to stay organized. This means to determine where and how to save your messages until they are ready to go online. I started to use a "workflow system" to get my organsied of positions. If the "workflow system" sounds a bit sophisticated, don't worry - in this case, it's really very simple.


I have a folder called "blog Posts" in Exchange. (I highly recommend Exchange - this is a great way to share files between multiple computers.) You can also work offline - your files will be synchronization when you next go online).


My folder contains three text files:


1 - Planning: this is where I dumped anything I think that I might want to transform a position. Ideas, titles, quotes, paragraphs, it is all here. I also copied posts set of blogs that are more active, so I can potentially develop the content in the new posts in the future. If you run multiple blogs, as I do, it is important to identify what blog you write for - although if you do not have multiple blogs on the same subject, this should be fairly simple to understand.


2 - Writing: there is a post I'd like to work on, move the relevant bits from the "Planning" file here. The "writing" file is where I work on my posts. Although you can use this file in any way that you want to, I believe that it is better to work on too many messages at the same time, if you can get distracted by a position when you want to work on another. If a position is not to go anywhere, you can leave and return later. If you change your mind on a workstation, you may return to the "Planning" file and review some other time.


3 - Edition: once you have written a post, move it to the file "Edition". Just put online - force yourself to come it at a later date, review it and make the necessary changes. Your messages will be much better if you take the time to change.


Although it is a very simple system, organize your messages is a must if propose you ideas faster that you can use. It is always useful if planning process takes you some time.


How do you expect your messages? Have you considered to establish a simple workflow system along these lines? Or you have already implemented something similar?

0 коммент.:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More